Thursday 20 August 2009

Face the fear and do it anyway

They say that a child is not born with fear and it is something that they learn as they grow. We all know that there are things that we should be afraid of because they will do us harm.
I worked in mental health for over 6 years and met people that had irrational fears but the fears where real to them. Irrational fears are fears that have no concrete basis and fall under the category of "what if".

What if I am in my car and have a car crash
What if the lift breaks and falls to the ground
What if the plane crashes
What if I faint when I am out
What if I fail my exams

This list can go on and on and on... Most people can rationalise fears and the fears have no real impact on their life but again many cant and subsequently their life becomes a self-made prison from which there is no escape until they can overcome their fear.

I myself have a fear of wasps and will run from a room even if I hear a buzzing noise. I once slammed the breaks on my car when I heard a buzzing noise jumped out the car.

Fear is the one thing that stops us from doing things. But we can overcome all fears by facing the fear and doing it anyway. I am not saying this will be easy but it can be done.

The Bible is full of people that fear but when they put their trust in God, God gives them the courage to face the fear. How do they face the fear? They begin by trusting in God's word. They take God at His word adn hold on to what He has said.

One of the great sayings in the Bible is "I will never leave you or forsake you".


If we all took God at His word our life would be blessed


Try taking God at His word

No comments:

Post a Comment